Thursday, September 24, 2009

Enemy at the gates-- a small victory

Its always been like this. Whenever exams were nigh, and I would sit down in the library to study, a vast assortment of "friends", who'd looked through me all year, would stop by to chat. Seemingly, a divine test of my resolve.

Today, as the lunch hour passed, and my guard lowered, my dear coworkers, driven as if by some diabolical plan, stopped in to ask me if I wanted to go have lunch!!! Turns out, one of them owed me a lunch. So, a visit to Jimmy Daddonas (my favorite!) will cost me NOTHING!!!

I am ashamed to say I capitulated! Well, almost. I said yes, all the while lying to myself that this was for the greater good-- team spirit and collegiality, and all that. But then, the reserve of self control practiced in the college library came to my rescue. I managed to turn them down-- I said I had suffered some acidity last night (true!), and will have to avoid the said cuisine. See how this works-- there is temptation, but built in the plan is the bulwark against it. But I have to say, temptation has great allies.

So the fast goes on. But I wonder what other temptations await me ...

No comments:

Post a Comment