Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A productive weekend. A challenge.

The weekend was great. I learnt how two days without food is no problem.

The big realization has been that while growing up we pick up food-insecurities. There is the constant obsession with not getting enough food. Despite evidence to the contrary being ubiquitous-- the real problem is that we have too much food-- we persist in a collective fight against famine. We go to a movie and eat, go hiking and eat, go visiting people and eat, go to work and eat, go boating an eat, football game-- eat, conferences-- eat, go to the beach-- eat, picnic-- eat. Virtually all occasions seem to provide the aegis for eating.

Fasting has helped me look beyond this. I actually eschewed the egg-sandwich. Not as a sacrifice, but because when time came, there was no desire. The Sufi term "fana" comes to mind.

However, that evening I had to take customers out to dinner. To a steak house. While I am happy to report that, apart from nibbling on some bread, an Apple-Walnut Salad is all I ate, I have to say I have to figure a way out of this. I can't not eat when I am the host. But, I cannot let this impediment stymie my goals either. On the horns of a dilemma here!


No comments:

Post a Comment